Griffin Legal has a strong culture of social and corporate responsibility in which all staff members are encouraged to be actively involved in the community. We recognise the support that we receive from our local community and have developed a unique working culture where all staff members, at all levels, are able to give back.
We sponsor a number of community organisations and initiatives including:
- BelNorth Football Club
- Brumbies Rugby
- Griffin Legal John I Dent Cup
- University of Canberra Women’s Rugby 7s
- Canberra Youth Theatre
Griffin Legal is also proud to be supporting the GWS Giants through the exclusive C7 group of businesses providing funding to help retain players.
At Griffin Legal, we are committed to providing pro bono legal services to the community. We believe that our lawyers have a responsibility to assist individuals and not-for-profit organisations whose work assists those in need.
Griffin Legal is a signatory to the Australian Pro Bono Centre’s National Pro Bono Target. As a signatory, we have committed to undertake at least 35 hours of pro bono legal work per lawyer per year.
Griffin Legal provides pro bono estate planning legal services to patients referred through the Cancer Council ACT and Cancer Council Victoria.
At Griffin Legal, we believe it is important that we are part of the community we advise. To this end, we actively participate in our local community through our memberships of:
- Canberra Women in Business
- ACT Women’s Law Society
- Australian Institute of Company Directors
- ACT Law Society
- NSW Law Society
- AFL GWS Territorians
- Australian and New Zealand Sports Law Association (ANZSLA)
- ACTSmart Business – accredited recycler 2016
- Law Council of Australia – Diversity and Equality Charter
- Minds Count Foundation (previously Tristan Jepson Memorial Foundation)
Griffin Legal has always been dedicated to implementing systems of work which are environmentally friendly.
The Partners and staff regularly engage in new initiatives concerning sustainable business practices.
For example, Griffin Legal was one of the first firms in Canberra to go paperless commencing in 2011. Being a paperless firm means reducing our carbon footprint, resources for printing and maintaining digital filing systems. This environmental decision allowed us to achieve better practice efficiency and effective file management.
We have maintained this commitment and in 2013 Griffin Legal was registered as an accredited member of the ACT Government ACTSmart Business Recycling Program.
Griffin Legal has committed to the ACT Government’s Healthier Work Program.
We promote a healthy balance by healthy eating, physical activity, and emotional wellbeing. To this end, we have initiated a number of strategies including:
- Replacing our office chocolate box with a regular fruit delivery.
- Introducing a weekly walking/running group.
- Implementing a health and wellbeing policy.
- Encouraging staff to seek out a mentor in Griffin Legal’s mentor program.
- Qualified Nutritionist seminars.
- Creating a weekly salad club encouraging healthy eating options.
- Lifeline Canberra seminars.
- Encouraging staff to replace traditional sit-down meetings with ‘walking meetings’.
- Encouraging staff to engage in the ACT Mental Health Week.
Griffin Legal understands the impact of mental illness, particularly in the legal profession.
Our Office Manager, Penny is responsible for ensuring we consider the impact of our operations on the environment.