The Planning Act 2022 (ACT) (The Planning Act) came into effect on 20 June 2023, and will replace the Planning and Development Act 2007 (ACT). Provisions with respect to planning strategy, district strategy, technical specifications and transitions have commenced with the remaining provisions to commence in Quarter 4 of 2023.
With a goal to deliver a planning system that is simple, easy yet effective, the Planning Bill 2022 underwent extensive public consultation. The Planning Act, accompanied by a new Territory Plan and district strategies, aims to:
• Introduce a new concept of ‘good planning’ to enhance the Territory’s liveability and prosperity while protecting its natural environment;
• Introduce a new concept of ‘good consultation’ to provide a scheme for enhanced community consultation that is meaningful;
• Provide greater focus on strategic planning by introducing district strategies and new planning policies;
• Introduce a new concept of ‘significant development’ and its application process;
• Establish an outcomes-focused and streamlined development application process;
• Provide greater transparency and access to information; and more.
If you wish to further understand or discuss the Planning Act and how these amendments could affect you or your business, please contact our property team at email@example.com.